9.98th AW Birthday Rogaine
Belmont Regional Park, 20 Aug 09
On 26 Aug 1999 a few rogainers decided to have a bit of a practice for the World Champs. They met at Belmont Regional Park, and one of them had put some circles on the topo map. Nothing on the ground. Not even a question. The afterwork rogaine was born.
This was the very same course. Today's participants were surprised at the lack of a question sheet and the trust in their honesty, but took off claiming that all controls looked do-able! In the end honesty prevailed, and Bill Edwards' 1060 was remarkably similar to Phil Wood's 1100 from ten years ago; and Greg Thurlow could probably have bettered the figure if he hadn't been encouraged by the beautiful night to run an extra 27 minutes! Others treated the night as intended, and the scores were less important.
Why 9.98? Farmland areas of the park close on Saturday for lambing; it reopens at Labour Weekend. So it wasn't quite the 10th birthday.
And we paste in the original results from 1999:
- Bill Edwards, 1060
- Greg Thurlow, 1110 -270L =840
- Jenny Cossey, Graeme Silcock, 830
- Julie Gordon, Debbie Mansfield, 780
- Mark Hearfield, 660
- John Robertson, 580 (in 2hr22)
- Glen Warner, Shane Ross, 550
- Rebekah Wright, Hannah McGregor, June Gibbons, 550 -30L =520
- Mark Wallace, 450
- Brian Hallinan, Bruce Worsley, 430
- Helen McKendry, Nicola Mitchell, 320
- Dan Pringle, Lisa Phelan, 310
- Jamie Stewart, Penny Kane, 310
- Phil Pharand, Sandra Beaubien, 280
- Norilie Lopez, Michael Wood, 250 (in 2hr15)
- Erica Hindle, Viv Homes, 60
- Rob Smith, Keri Devine, not recorded
- Jonathan Shutt, mates didn't show, but he biked there and home!
Planner Mark Copeland.
- Philip Wood, 1100
- Tom Ehlen and Rob Harrow, 990
- Mike Sheridan and Alan Stowell, 980
- Tony Gazley and Chris Tait, 960
- Mark Copeland, 890
- Steve Holden, 800
- Michael Wood and Scott van Dyk, 730
- Ted van Geldermalsen and Penny Edwards, 600
- Rob Aitken and Giles Turner, TBA
Winner's route: From start at Stratton Street rangers house, upstream then up to Old Coach Rd, north to
farmhouse in bunkers area, trig ITB, Airstrip, Round Knob, Cannons Head, Belmont Trig (with various offshoots), Baked Beans Bend, Korokoro Dam, out to Maungaraki and down Stratton St to finish.
This page is maintained by
of Orienteering Hutt Valley.
Back to the OHV results index.