2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012,
MTBO in NZ...
Course Planners Advice
Orienteering Hutt Valley presents...
Around Wellington: Riding with a Reason
Since 2000, Orienteering Hutt Valley has coordinated a series of MTB-Orienteering events in the southern North Island, and been a leader in creating MTB-specific maps. Our season has changed over the years, according to the interests of you the participants. So far this year (2018) people have put their hands up to organise...
- Sat 10 Feb: An Ak Attack warmup, Belmont Regional Park. Extraordinarily difficult, because the mist came down!!!
- Sun 11 Feb: The Ak Attack itself, the tough all-day event in the famous Akatarawa Forest
- Sat 7 Apr: Re-run of one of the courses on BRP, the accent on off-track navigation as expected at the NZ Champs
- Sat 14 Apr: Another practice course starting from Dry Creek involving both urban terrain (Hway interchange and Manor Park) and bush single-track (Keith George Park)
- Sun 20 May: A 2/3hr MTB rogaine on the flat part of the Kapiti Coast - based at Raumati Beach
- Sun 17 Jun: A Sprint Adventure Race consisting of river trail MTBO and foot orienteering.
- Sun 12 Aug: A Sprint Adventure Race consisting of river trail MTBO and foot orienteering.
- Sun 23 Sep: Another 2/3hr MTB rogaine on the Kapiti Coast, this time up to the Waikanae River
Where do you like riding?
Does it have enough tracks to require navigation?
Put your hand up and make it happen!
Mountains... Mud... Maps... Magic!
ORIENTEERING ON FOOT: "involves finding your way through unfamiliar terrain using a map." Competitions are usually individual, but groups are welcome too. Checkpoints may have to be visited in a certain order, or a time limit is set. Courses can take anything from 10 minutes up, with an hour quite common.
MTB-ORIENTEERING: "riding your way through a network of singletrack, 4WD tracks, roads and paths using a map. Sometimes you can shortcut between tracks but it's mostly about choosing the best track route and then following it without delays. Most events are designed to take 1-2 hours, but there are shorter and longer variations.