Course planner Very warm evening. Participants 22.
The last T-max of the year followed the style of the Avalon event, with the Quickfire sections based on the Dowse environs and the remodelled Riddiford Gardens. The in between section was a less intense sprint on new mapping of the commercial centre, with alcoves, lanes and even the Queensgate Mall shown in full detail. And for good measure a bit of the Hutt riverbank.
Sport Ident controls were used at the start, finish, transition, and un-specified other locations; with the remainder being either flags on the ground or bare stakes, requiring accurate nav right to the spot. Good practice for precise navigation and variation in pace. Nick Hann was head and shoulders above the rest of the field, but Bill Edwards was challenged by Greg Thurlow and Magnus Bengtsson, and it won't be long before Kieran E makes up the gap to his dad.
Thanks to John Robertson who helped throughout, and Ocean Mercier, Pat van Berkel, Nic Gorman, Nick Hann and Greg Thurlow who picked up the controls.
Down below is a second set of combo results based on emphasising the Quickfire times, to balance up the influence of both types of orienteering.
Short Course (First Quickfire on 1:2500 map) 0.9km
- Rod O'Connor 15:00
- Karina O'Connor 16:00
- Mike, Kathy and Hamish O'Connor 18:00
Short Course (2-map Quickfire on 1:2500 map) 1.6km
- Lilly Trompeter 34:00
- Don Lock 5:32 +4:52 +10:42 part of tour =21:07
Tour Course (1:4000 map) 2.8km
- Will Vale 23:30
- Mike O'Connor 28:40
Combo Course (1st half of Quickfire, longer 1:4000 section, 2nd Quickfire) Total 4.4km
- Nick Hann 3:51 +15:17 +3:52 =23:00
- Bill Edwards 5:13 + 16:53 +4:25 =26:31
- Greg Thurlow 6:07 +17:31 +5:06 =28:44
- Magnus Bengtsson 5:04 +19:13 +5:02 =29.19
- Kieran Edwards 5:53 +19:45 +5:11 =30:49
- Rob Collier 5:52 +20:00 +5:41 =31:33
- Nic Gorman 6:48 +22:46 +6:26 =36:00
- Bill Trompeter 36:00 self-timed
- Pat van Berkel 8:11 +24:39 +6:42 =39:32
- Ocean Mercier 8:38 +26:37 +6:08 =41:23
- Simon Rea 7:48 +28:07 +7:40 =43:35
- Paul Clarke 8:34 +27:39 8:05 =44:18
- Alexandra Riddle 7:54 +29:36 +7:30 =45:00
Combo Course with four times the emphasis on the Quickfire. Computed by QUARTERING the tour course time. We've left the order the same as above, so you can see where it would have made a difference. Would you have re-allocated your energy if you had known this was the system?
- Nick Hann 11:32
- Bill Edwards 13:51
- Greg Thurlow 15:36
- Magnus Bengtsson 14:54
- Kieran Edwards 16:00
- Rob Collier 16:33
- Nic Gorman 18:56
- Bill Trompeter 36:00 self-timed no splits
- Pat van Berkel 21:03
- Ocean Mercier 21:25
- Simon Rea 22:30
- Paul Clarke 23:34
- Alexandra Riddle 22:48