Brownie Event #2
Lower Hutt 22 Apr 12
A beautiful day brought loads of "brownies" out to Lower Hutt where Matthew Turner (year 11 at school) had set controls between the Melling and Kennedy-Good bridges. There was a nice little 1km warm-up, and pretty much everyone did the 5.5km loop with the optional extension into Belmont Domain. For some that was a looong way, we're proud of you all!
Nice to see so many new people, thanks for passing on the word everyone. Next time we have some hills which won't suit the very little ones, what I would recommend for them is foot orienteering. They always have a range of courses with the "white" one having similar navigation to this and usually about 2km long. If you can manage "Koru" at Makara Peak then you'll be fine at the next MTBO.
NB Timekeeping was optional and we're not quite sure about how many juniors in some groups! "nt"=no time.
Course 1, 1km around the Croquet Greens
- Oliver Flint
- Ben, Richard and coach
- Sophie McKendry and mum
- Nicole Ranger
- Keith Wild (on foot)
- Alan Teesdale and dad
- Alan Teesdale and dad backwards
- John and E Thomson
- Harvey Lawn family (guess 4)
- Bruce and Ellie Morrison
- Grace and Darren Kingi
- Kieran and Oliver Edwards and Olaf Baker
- Larissa Edwards and mum
- Adam and Rachel Baker and mum
Course 2A, 5.5km Round the Bridges
- Ben, Richard and coach nt
- Kieran and Oliver Edwards and Olaf Baker 53-00
- Kiki Gray and coach 65-00
- Tony Gardner +3 70-45
- Sophie McKendry and mum 74-00
- Andy Day +1? 76-45
- Larissa Edwards and Mum nt
- Adam and Rachel Baker and Mum nt
- Harvey Lawn family (guess 4) nt
Course 2B, 6km including Belmont Domain
- Rob Molloy 31-00
- Nicole Ranger 31-30
- Jess, Brian and Elina Astridge pillion 37-00
- Bruce and Ellie Morrison 43-00
- Keith Wild (on foot) 46-30
- John and E Thomson 48-50
- Grace and Darren Kingi 48-50
- Oliver and Andy Flint 49-00
- Cassie, Jay and coach? 63-00
helped on the day by David Turner and Michael Wood.
Access by kind permission of Wellington Regional Council.
Participants 44, starts 72.
Brownie Event #1
Upper Hutt 24 Mar 12
Rain rummaged round the ranges but Upper Hutt stayed dry and 30 people from 3yrs to 3-score-and-more rode the riverbank trails and the 6 separately-named parks. Not counting Totara Park which is a suburb and doesn't have a park by that name.
Several were distracted by swings and things. These were more likely to be those with 29ers. We're talking 29cm here not inches. Obviously a trendy technology that will soon become the norm.
Points for style to Adam Baker (we think) whose bike out-glittered all others. Points for age go to Caitlin Gribble at one end and Gavin Scott at the other. Orienteering: a sport for life.
NB Timekeeping was optional and approximate. "nt"=no time.
Course 1, 1km California Park
- Caitlin Gribble 3yo, coach Martin
- Alison Power, coach William
- Bill Edwards, Susan Edwards, Yvette Baker keeping an eye on various
- Kieran Edwards
- Oliver Edwards
- Larissa Edwards
- Olaf Baker
- Rachel Baker
- Adam Baker
- Matthew Turner
- Hamish Mackie, coach Steve?
- Teresa and Melissa Warner, coach Glen
- Grace Kingi, coach Darren
Course 2A, 2.5km Harcourt Park
- Kieran Edwards nt
- Oliver Edwards nt
- Olaf Baker nt
Course 2B, 6km Round the Bridges
- Alison Power, coach Dad 72-00
- Sam Pickering, coach Phil 75-00
- Grace Kingi, coach Darren nt
Course 2C, 8km River Trail Extension
- Matthew Turner 52-00
- Nathan Frost +2 59-25
- Geraldine Back, about an hour
- Teresa and Melissa Warner, coach Glen, 85-00 incl C1
- Oliver Flint coach Andy 73-00
- Hamish Mackie, coach Steve? nt
- Bill Edwards nt
- Gavin Scott, 45-10, mp
Access by kind permission of Wellington Regional Council, Upper Hutt City Council, and the Totara Park Scout Group.
Participants 30, starts 44.
This page is maintained by
of Orienteering Hutt Valley.